Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Flight Report - Off to the Races

Happy Tuesday lovies!  This weekend and last were overflowing with friends, family, food, festivities, and . . . horse racing.  I wanted to share a taste of it with all of you.  

First of all, last weekend was the Spring Foxfield Races.  It is a big tradition at my school to dress up and spend the day at the races getting heavily intoxicated and sun burnt.  I actually never participated during my college years (mainly because I didn't feel the need to pay 50+ dollars to go get drunk with my friends in a field - I did that enough in high school for free).  But this year, many of my friends who moved away from our dear college town, came back for Foxfield, and since I have since exited the starving college kid part of my life, it was a great opportunity to catch up with everyone and finally participate in the festivities.  

And it was wonderful.  I spent the day drinking mimosas, laying on a blanket and watching the races, and dominating at corn-hole (granted - that was only because the boy is such an amazing player).  I was too busy enjoying the sun and champagne to snap any pictures, but I'm hoping to steal some from the other attendees, so stay posted.   

That night, my boss had the entire administrative team and our husbands/fiancés/boyfriends over to her house for dinner in honor of “Administrative Professionals Day”.  Her husband made the most incredible Moroccan food and she gave us all potted petunias.  Earlier in the week, one of the other admins bought me another beautiful plant and the accounting team gave me flowers.   I am so lucky to be surrounded by such lovely people and pretty blooms.  My desk feels like Spring!


My repotted lovelies and gorgeous flowers.




Now this weekend was the Kentucky Derby.  And for some strange awesome reason, this is Caleb’s favorite day of the year.  It also happened to be our 6 month anniversary, but I think he was significantly less excited about that (** he did get me a bouquet of my favorite flowers (white roses) which he somehow remembered were my favorite even though I only told him once – ages ago - so he’s still golden).  He wanted to have his parents and a bunch of our friends over to celebrate the big day, so we spent Friday night getting ready.  We wound up with 9 people (quite a lot for his 1 room apartment) and a huge spread of food.  His mom cooked bacon tomato cups and stuffed mushrooms (which I am still mentally drooling over), Caleb made mac & cheese, pulled pork barbeque, and mint juleps, and I baked two derby pies with homemade whipped cream.  The company and the food could not have been better, and even though the race lasted only about 2 minutes, it was still really entertaining (I was enjoying scoping out the fancy hats and rooting for the only female jockey – which leads me to a whole other tangent (and possibly future post) about why in a sport that values short, skinny, petite frames, there aren’t more female jockeys?!).   But all in all it was an amazing day.
Here are some pics of our prep work and the finished products:







Prior to the festivities, I also snuck in thai food with the boy and a used bookstore/tea house date with the roomie.  


Even the thai house cat knew what a bad hand he had. 



Gorgeous doesn't even begin to cover it. 


This is her last week at the apartment  . . . (Amanda, please stop crying on your keyboard and finish this rambling post) . . . and we had yet to peruse the amazing downtown shops together.  I found so many great books (including a copy of Lolita and the Slaughter House Five!) and enjoyed spending a quiet morning with my best friend.   Sunday was spent as all Sundays should be spent: doing laundry, quietly reading, drinking thai tea (which I just learned how to make and have yet to perfect, but is still AH-mazing), and challenging the roomie and our boyfriends to a Wii sports tournament.



Thai tea from a mason jar.  Too delicious/cool for words.  .       

I lead a charmed life.

No comments:

Post a Comment