Sunday, February 13, 2011

Don't Break my Heart on Valentines' Day . . .

Let's go back to discussing my blogging motivations for just a minute.  For the past three months I have been working as a temporary employee of mid-sized company.  That's right - I'm a temp.  That isn't a word I ever saw as a descriptor of myself, but there it is.  And in the past three months I have gotten very comfortable and grown rather fond of my position, and I never really stopped to think much about the temporary aspect of it (with the exception of seeing my paycheck every week and hoping that the "to hire" part kicked in sooner rather than later).  Well turns out it was later, but it did eventually kick in.  This past Tuesday, I reinterviewed for "my" job - along side 4 other women who were all significantly older, much more experienced, and lacking a college degree.  I wore a suit.  My references were called.  And at the end of the day I walked away feeling like I rocked the interview, and that this entire process was just a formality to officially hire me in the position I had been working for the past three months.

Here is the point in the post when I was hoping to sum up what happened next.  I wanted to share my joy at finally (nine months after my college graduation) getting a "real" job, with the salary and benefits to match - OR on a less happy note, share my disappointment at being once again unemployed.  Unfortunately,  I have yet to hear an answer.  I have a meeting with the Chief of Staff on Monday afternoon, when I'm assuming she will either officially give me the job or officially let me go.  So I am forced to wait, and potentially be faced with heartbreaking news on Valentines' Day.

But if nothing else, this process (which began approximately a month ago with them listing the position opening online) has lead me to a new level of self evaluation and analysis which lead me to starting this blog, and ultimately to this moment - sitting in my bed with a fresh cup of coffee, my MacBook, and my dog (you'll meet Jake soon), writing out to all of you.

Wish me luck lovies - I will keep you posted
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment