Monday, February 14, 2011

Bird Books - "The Lover's Dictionary" by David Livithan




awe (noun)

 - an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fearetc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful

That is the only word I can use to describe my feelings toward David Livithan's new book, "The Lover's Dictionary".  It is a love story, written in true dictionary format, with each chapter beginning with a word and brief vignettes from this couple's life together serving as the definitions.  Told in alphabetical order rather than chronologically, piece by piece, Livithan's story captures the true essence of modern, everyday, troubled love in a way that no other poem, novel, or movie has ever done for me.  Like most good books that have made their way into my life, this story consumed me.  I was constantly reading (or wishing I was reading), and when it wasn't in my hands or on my nightstand, it was a constant companion in my purse.  However, this book went beyond being simply a good read.  For me, the mark of a truly moving piece of writing is when the narrator's tone and pacing actually influences (or even takes over) my own thought patterns.  For the days that followed I found myself (in a manner significantly less articulate than Livithan) assigning words to my daily events - trying to capture my interactions and reactions by summing them up in neat paragraphs.  

In short, I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has loved, been loved, or is curious at what real, imperfect, soul-shaking love can look like.  

In completely unrelated, but very exciting news:  I got the job!!!  What a wonderful Valentines' Day present - I hope all of yours are just as amazing.  

Sending love to my lovies, 
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment